Mumbai, the financial capital, a city where dreamers get their due, a city that never sleeps, the most populous city in India and the official Alpha world city. Mumbai is also home to Bollywood (we are not proud of this name), which is world’s largest film industry in terms of film production with an annual output of 1,986 feature films as of 2017. Home to many corporate headquarters, superstars and now, Think Design.
We love Mumbai’s energy, the never-say-die attitude of the people (Mumbaikars), the port, Gateway of India and the city where you’d find people from various cultures, religions and ethnic background co-exist… and yes, Mumbai is a city where you can take a stroll at 3:00 in the morning and find freshly made street food!
As a Design agency in Mumbai, we love the city’s energy, Bollywood (well, we work right next to a film studio!), cutting chai, paav bhaji and its new and awesome airport!
Few facts about Mumbai:
- Mumbai has a coastline of over 149 kilometers. Isn’t that awesome?
- The Juhu Aerodrome was the first airport of India, the Taj Mahal Hotel, founded in 1903, is India’s first 5 star hotel and the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) railway station is the first railway station in India.
- The Dabbahwallahs’ century-old delivery system is recognised as one of the best managed supply chains in the world.
- Mumbai was paid as a Dowry. Back in 1661, the Portuguese were the rulers of the city. However, upon marriage between King Charles II of England and Princess Catherine de Braganza of Portugal, the Portuguese handed over the city of Bombay to England as dowry!
- The city was formerly known as Bom bahia which means good bay in Portuguese. The city was known as Bombay for the entire period it was under the English rule.
- Mumbai was the first city to start a bus service in India. It was on 15 July 1926, that the first ever bus service in India was started. The first route was ridden between Afghan Church and Crawford Market.